Skip to main content

Meet My Skin



I have come to learn that oily skinned people are quite prone to investing a fortune in skin care products and make up in a bid to find the right products that deal effectively with oil and unnecessary shine. I am talking extremely oily and not combination or any other skin type. Yours sincerely is a typical example.

I have always had really oily skin. The type with which you could fry an egg should you want to try. My skin is so oily that if I do not cleanse early enough in the evening, oil from my skin begins to get in my eyes and cause me some eye irritation. Interesting right?

I am almost positive that I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I have invested so much in seeking the right products for my skin type in such amount of cash that could total the cost of erecting a small apartment. Oh sure!

That taught me one useful lesson, that costliest is not always the best. So purge your mindset of any such notion that pricey means results. Not always the case. This does not mean that there aren't pricey products that work though, I just haven't tried one that has worked for me. I at this point have decided that I have done my fare share of pricey without result, maybe until something that really works for me shows up.

I am not in any way claiming that I have used every product in the market too. But these days, green is the new cosmetics colour.

I have found that although you may not successfully find that product that could do justice for an extremely oily skin, maintaining the right regimen and the use of good products including those found in your kitchen could still help you achieve that head turning look when your right complexion is revealed on well moisturized and soft skin. I am not talking bleaching! Just a healthy glow is all.

Because of my own experience, I make bold to refute popular claims that oily skin is prone to breakouts. This is not and has not really been my case. The only times I have found me to breakout is that time of the month, when I get too nonchalant with my diet and when I am experiencing some levels of stress which fortunately is not regular. When I get stressed even my complexion revolts. These are situations that cut across all skin types. Right?

In contrast to my seemingly unsmiling demeanor, I am prone to laugh a lot and always seek good books and TV programmes that are humour packed because I love a really good laugh now and then. I guess this might really be working somewhat in my favour.

I am fortunate that the only times that I have ended up adding a new acne scar or cystic acne were from times that I got lazy with my regimen. I wouldn't say my skin is top notch now, far from it, but since I decided to give a little more attention to my regimen, I have seen encouraging improvements. 
I am not a fan of drastic acne scar attacks such as laser treatments and all just because they sound and seem scary and maybe painful. The best I would consider is a periodic facial which at some point too I had abandoned. Oh lazy me!

Interestingly, I found that keeping a glowing skin only requires consistency in the very basic regimen. One great help for oily skin is simply ensuring that you cleanse regularly. By this I mean at the most, twice a day. Over cleansing is also not good for oily skinned people. Oily skinned persons need not cut out moisturizing after cleansing and toning. They only need to develop a consistent habit of applying a quick dab of blotting powder, translucent powder or plain old white powder now and again, especially when stepping out or taking a walk to the restroom at work.

I am honestly lazy at maintaining such dedication but the times I have tried to, I did see a whole lot of improvement in my overall appearance. Truth be told, it could make you seem vain with your appearance but, hey, its your skin and your problem. So to not take a little time out now and again to address shine just because of what people might think, might only end up making you nothing but an oily mess. Not to talk of the fact that when your skin produces a lot of sebum, you end up looking tired and stressed.

Did I mention the fact that another challenge with oily skinned people is large pores? Hmmm.. this is the daunter (if that word does exist in English language) of all times. However, I do want to believe that large pores can be made to be much less visible. I am currently trying out a brand that claims to achieve that in oily skinned people and is also pure organic too.

I would talk more about this when I have used this brand for some time, to determine their claim is really true.

There are so many blogs these days that offer homemade recipes to hide large pores and I am tempted to include this to my regimen because who doesn't like flawless again?

I am conscious of the fact that one could overdo the regimen stuff so I will take my time knowing that with consistency I will surely attain some form of result.

Then again, fellow oily skinned comrades, you have a great deal to be thankful for because you are blessed with a well sought for potential of looking far younger than your age.

I see this as a blessing in itself because I always get to find that people think me at an age that shows I look about ten to twelve years younger than my actual age! Now is that not a compliment you would want to hear everyday? It makes all the challenges of having oily skin all the more worth while.

I stood by the side of a road with a cousin of mine who is a few years older than me when someone walked up to say hello to him and in the process asked my cousin if I was his daughter! What was the issue with oily skin again?

What are you experience with your skin so far? Leave your comment.

Comments